AwardsSandford Award for Heritage Education (Norwich Castle, Gressenhall and Time & Tide)
Outstanding Contribution Award, Norfolk County Council 2012
Arts Award Supporter
Ancient House Museum
Thetford, White Lion Street, Thetford, IP24 1AA
Intimate and atmospheric museum telling the story of Thetford and the surrounding Breckland countryside. Displays include flint axes, replicas of the Roman Thetford Treasure as well as objects from 1960s expansion of Thetford.
• Learning Outside the Classroom Quality Badge holder
• Tailor-made visits
• Specialises in Arts Awards
• Teacher-led visit: half day
• Maximum group size: 75 pupils
• Cost of teacher-led museum visit: free
• Schools day events: costs start at £3 per pupil
• Beautiful Tudor merchant house
• Local history and archaeology collections including pre-history through to 1960s
• Victorian Kitchen and courtyard garden
• Short films on famous locals Tom Paine and Maharajah Duleep Singh
• Exhibitions programme
• Small museum shop with pocket money items
Drop off point for coaches outside museum or close by with free parking for coaches 2 minutes drive away
Facilities for schools
• Indoor lunch space
• 10 minutes walk to Kings House Gardens (plenty of space to run around)
• Your school may benefit from help with travel costs
• Accessible toilets
• First floor not wheelchair accessible
Bookings and further information
• Please book school visits in advance.
• Click here to download an Expression of Interest Form. Fill in this simple form and return it to us today to start the booking process.
• Melissa Hawker | firstname.lastname@example.org | 01842 752599
Attending a Family Learning Numeracy Course is what encouraged me to get a job…It gave me the confidence.
We had a broad spectrum of ability (amongst the pupils) and the visit catered for all of these and gave us a few surprises – i.e. the children who asked and answered questions were not necessarily the ones we expected.