Thetford’s Lost Tudor Sculptures
On until 29 March 2014
Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk, planned two elaborate tombs for Thetford Priory. One tomb was for himself, the second was for Henry VIII’s illegitimate son, Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Richmond. However, the tombs were never finished.
After Thetford Priory was closed some parts of the monuments remained in the Priory, others went to Framlingham where Thomas Howard was buried in 1554.
In the 19th century two of these pieces were discovered in Thetford and donated to the British Museum. In the 1930s more fragments were excavated.
Today, researchers have tried to reconstruct what the tombs should have looked like, using fragments from archaeological excavations, 16th century manuscripts, 3D laser scanning and computer aided design software.
This exhibition reunites all these pieces - bringing together loans from the British Museum and English Heritage for the first time - and attempts to realise the sculptors’ original designs for Thetford’s Lost Tudor Sculptures.
Visitors to the displays can also see films, models, interactives and portraits which set the scene all displayed within the Ancient House, a Tudor timber framed building from the period. The extensive ruins of Thetford Priory, an English Heritage site, are a short walk from the Museum.
Download a leaflet and check out our great programme of events and activities linked to the exhibition.
Programme for Schools
Bring your class to learn about life in the town. Please contact the museum for more information.