Please note: Lynn Museum is closed on Good Friday 3 April 2015. Our standard opening times are Tuesday to Saturday, 10am to 5pm.
The museum will be open on Saturday 4 April with our Easter Eggs Family Trail. The Lynn Museum rabbit has lost his golden eggs. Come and help find them all and win a small prize.
Come and visit the award-winning Lynn Museum, West Norfolk’s greatest treasure!
Enjoy this delightful museum which tells the story of West Norfolk. Step back in time as you walk into a life size replica of Seahenge. This astonishing Bronze Age timber circle is the museum’s stunning centrepiece. Learn about the people who meticulously crafted the timbers and study the marks left by their bronze axes.
Then discover the timbers as they were found on the beach and find out how this ancient wooden structure amazingly survived for 4,000 years.
Browse around the ‘West Norfolk Story’. Marvel at the Sedgeford Hoard of Iceni gold coins hidden in a cow bone for nearly 2000 years. Imagine being a pilgrim in the thriving medieval port of King’s Lynn or riding on the magnificent gallopers in a Victorian fairground.
Examine the skeleton of an Anglo Saxon warrior and Egyptian Shabti figures. Learn how early people have helped us to write history from their graves.
So much to discover
Alongside the rich displays of objects there are interactive features to entertain the whole family. Audio guides and gallery resource areas provide information for those wishing to find out more. Listen to a sample, or download the entire tour here Lynn Museum audio guide tour
There's always lots to see and do at Lynn Museum. For more information on special activities, please access the event pages.
The museum is housed in a former Union Baptist Chapel and schoolroom adjacent to the town’s bus station. Come and take a look around – you will be warmly welcomed by Horace the tiger, who will greet you with a friendly roar!
Keep up to date
- Info sheet Castle Rising Castle (pdf - 335kB)
- Info sheet Eugene Aram (pdf - 100kB)
- Info sheet Frederick Savage, Fairground maker (pdf - 4287kB)
- Info sheet Henry Baines (pdf - 3450kB)
- Info sheet King's Lynn docks (pdf - 3173kB)
- Info sheet King's Lynn's Medieval trade (pdf - 3845kB)
- Info sheet Pilgrim badges (pdf - 2819kB)
- Info sheet pilgrimage (pdf - 4020kB)
- Info sheet Seahenge (pdf - 3502kB)
- Info sheet The 1953 Floods (pdf - 818kB)
- Info sheet The Civil War Siege of King's Lynn (pdf - 129kB)
- Info sheet The Hanse and King's Lynn (pdf - 3059kB)
- Info sheet The Pubs of King's Lynn (pdf - 322kB)
- Info sheet The Railway and Kings Lynn (pdf - 330kB)
- Info sheet The railway and Lynn (pdf - 3437kB)
- Info sheet The Sedgeford Hoard (pdf - 67kB)
- Info sheet Thomas Baines (pdf - 2866kB)
- Info sheet Walter Dexter, artist of Lynn (pdf - 2839kB)
- Info sheet Whaling from King's Lynn (pdf - 3742kB)
- Lynn Museum leaflet 2014 (pdf - 971kB)