The Bridewell Undercroft
The museum has a secret – underneath The Bridewell lies the largest vaulted undercroft in the city. These rooms were part of the original medieval house and were used for storage.
The undercroft was also used to hold inmates when it was a house of correction and prison. An 1813 inventory lists ‘posts and chains’. It would have been very cold and dark down there. Not a nice place to be!
The undercroft is open to the public for guided tours. These usually run three times a day on the last Saturday of each month, and are listed on our What’s On pages of this website. The tours are free with museum admission, and last around 45 minutes. We recommend booking on 01603 629127. Tours are not suitable for under 8’s, and unfortunately due to the steep steps and uneven floors, are not suitable for wheelchairs, or people with limited mobility.