Norwich Castle welcomes disabled visitors. There is parking for Blue Badge holders next to the Castle’s main entrance. Nearly all the museum is accessible to wheelchair users - our staff can help you plan a level access route around the building. Handling opportunities are often available, and many of the displays incorporate multi-sensory experiences. Assistance dogs are welcome. Hearing loops are available at the reception desks and for our lectures and talks.
There is no wheelchair access to the Castle battlements and dungeons, and some access restrictions in the Keep. A film introduction to the Castle Keep, and 'virtual tours' of battlements and dungeons are available. These are BSL-interpreted and audio described.
If you would like access information in any other format such as Braille, large print or CD, please contact us on:
Telephone: 01603 493625
Fax: 01603 493623
E-mail: Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service
John Wonnacott and John Lessore: The Life Room and the City
Norwich Castle 4 October 2014 to 4 January 2015
There is an audio introduction to this exhibition, artists’ commentaries and audio descriptions of four paintings in this exhibition. These can be listened to, or downloaded, by clicking here and are also available for visually impaired visitors on MP3 headphones in the exhibition.
There is a plaster cast of a classical torso on display in the exhibition. This was used in the Life Room by students to understand anatomy. Although very fragile this can be touched with care by visually impaired visitors. Please ask the exhibition invigilators for protective gloves and instructions if you wish to touch this exhibit. Please note: this exhibit is barriered and access can only be gained with permission from the invigilators.
This exhibition is on the ground floor of Norwich Castle. All areas of this exhibition are suitable for wheelchair users. Resting benches are available and gallery stools are located in the entrance to the exhibition.
• Gift shop, stocking a wide range of gifts, souvenirs and publications.
• Norwich Castle Café serves drinks, snacks and lunches, with a range of salads, sandwiches and hot meals. Lunch boxes for children are available.
• Picnic Room, with hot drinks and snack machines.
• Cloakroom with secure storage for buggies, coats and bags.
• Baby changing facilities
• Accessible toilets
- Groups info (pdf - 157kB)
- Norwich Castle Floor Plan (pdf - 332kB)
- Norwich Castle Leaflet 2014 (pdf - 2489kB)
- Norwich Castle Museum and Art Gallery
- Norwich Castle Trail Leaflet - 5 to 7 years (pdf - 403kB)
- Norwich Castle Trail Leaflet - 8 to 11 years (pdf - 385kB)
- Norwich Castle Trail Leaflet - Adult (pdf - 1060kB)
- Norwich Castle Trail Leaflet - Teenage (pdf - 1417kB)
- Norwich Castle Trail Leaflet - Under 5 (pdf - 3052kB)