A History of Time & Tide
Time & Tide occupies the premises of the Tower Fish Curing Works, originally built c.1850 and enlarged in 1880. The works closed in 1988.
In 1998 the Tower Fish Curing Works were purchased for conversion into a museum - designed by Norwich architects Purcell Miller Tritton. £4.7 million* was spent on re-developing the site. The project took two years to complete and Time & Tide opened its doors to the public for the first time in July 2004.
In 2005 Time and Tide proved it was a museum of national significance when it became one of four finalists for the Gulbenkian Award - Museum of the Year. The following year the museum was a finalist in the Council of Europe’s Museum of the Year Award 2006.
The museum tells the story of Great Yarmouth and its herring industry and the lingering aroma of the smokehouse remains today.
* Heritage Lottery Fund awarded over £2.5 million, other funds came from East of England Development Agency, ERDF: Objective 2, Single Regeneration Budget, Great Yarmouth Borough Council and English Heritage.
We found so much of interest at Time & Tide that we ran out of time.
An excellent illustration of Great Yarmouth’s history and Herring Trade.