Join us for medieval knights in a medieval castle in the country’s most complete medieval city
We've planned an action-packed year bringing knights in shining armour, medieval combat demonstrations and festive feasts to Norwich Castle.
Saturday Knight Fever
Saturday 7 October 10.30am-3.30pm
A day of knights! Who were they? What did they do? Join us for medieval combat workshops with Battle Heritage and see if you have what it takes to be a defender of the realm.
Festival of Norwich and Norfolk Architecture
Saturday 21 October 10.30am–3.30pm
Meet the Stonemasons’ Guild of St Stephen & St George and help Norfolk Record Office make a fabulous architectural creation. Hear all about the latest architectural plans for the Gateway to Medieval England project with a talk by lead architect Hugh Feilden (2 – 3pm).
Museums at Night – Digital Takeover
Saturday 28 October 5 – 9.30pm
Discover the Castle like never before through immersive, hands-on interactives and games. Experience the Royal Palace, explore a virtual medieval world and meet characters from the Castle’s colourful past, through the latest digital technology.
From Field to Feast
Wednesday 20 December 2017 to Wednesday 3 January 2018 10.30am–3.30pm
Make a medieval festive feast and find out where festive food came from in the past.
Tell us what you think
As part of the Gateway to Medieval England project we're reviewing our events and activities programme to ensure that it reflects what visitors would like to experience and take part in.
Come along to our events and give us your feedback so that we can ensure the ambitions for the project are complemented by a fun and exciting programme suitable for all ages.
Our project plans aren't set in stone yet. We’re still developing our ideas, including themes and storylines for the new Keep displays. We’re keen to hear what you’d like to see and do in the remodelled Keep.
Complete our online survey now – and make sure you enter your details to be in with a chance of winning £50 of high street vouchers.
Keep up to date
For all the latest news and behind the scenes updates on the project, follow us on social media.
Photo competition on Instagram
We are launching #MyNorwichCastle, a competition on Instagram, to find the best image of Norwich Castle Keep! For your chance to win a prize, including an invitation to the private view of The Square Box on the Hill and afternoon tea at Norwich Castle, visit Instagram @NorwichCastleKeep. Your entry could be a photograph, drawing, painting or other art form.
#MyNorwichCastle Terms and Conditions
- The promoter of this competition is Norfolk Museums Service, which is a partnership between Norfolk County Council and Norfolk’s District Councils
- The competition is open to residents of the United Kingdom aged 16 years or over except employees of Norfolk Museums Service and anyone connected with the judging of the competition
- There is no fee to enter this competition
- To enter the competition follow @NorwichCastleKeep on Instagram and share your image of Norwich Castle Keep using #MyNorwichCastle
- Entry into the competition will be deemed as acceptance of these terms and conditions
- Only two entries will be accepted per person. Further entries from the same person will be disqualified
- The closing date for entries is 27 November 2017. After this date no further entries will be permitted.
- Norfolk Museums Service reserve the right to cancel or amend the competition and these terms and conditions without notice. Any changes to the competition will be publicised on Instagram @NorwichCastleKeep.
- Norfolk Museums Service are not responsible for inaccurate prize details supplied by any third party
- The prizes are as follows:
1st Prize – An invitation for two people to the private view of The Square Box on the Hill at Norwich Castle on Friday 9 February 2018 plus free entry to Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery and afternoon tea for two people (expires 31 March 2018).
2nd Prize – Free entry to Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery and afternoon tea for two people (expires 31 March 2018).
3rd Prize – Free entry to Norwich Castle Museum & Art Gallery for two people (expires 31 March 2018).
The prizes are not transferable and no cash or other alternatives will be offered. We reserve the right to substitute any prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
- Three overall winners will be chosen by a panel of judges appointed by Norfolk Museums Service
- Each week throughout the duration of the competition Norfolk Museums Service will choose and share a favourite image for that week
- The winners will be notified by private message on Instagram within 14 days of the closing date. If the winners cannot be contacted or do not claim the prize within 14 days of notification, Norfolk Museums Service reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner.
- Norfolk Museums Service will notify the winners of when and where the prize(s) can be collected/delivered
- Norfolk Museums Service’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition will be final and no correspondence will be entered into
- The competition and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England
- The entrants agree to the use of their names and entries in any publicity material. Any personal data relating to the winners or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without the entrant’s prior consent.