Only in the East
Live in East Anglia and love photography? Want the chance to win a fabulous Sony camera and have your photo displayed at Time and Tide Museum? Then look no further.
In honour of our fabulous new photography exhibition Only in England (21 October 2017 until 15 April 2018) documenting the iconic photographic work by Tony Ray-Jones and Martin Parr, we want to encourage people of all ages across East Anglia to pick up a camera and get snapping.
Tony Ray-Jones’ and Martin Parr’s photographs captured the honest, eccentric and at times peculiar aspects of British life. Sometimes energetic, at other times pensive, their work recorded the real life of real people in the 60s and 70s. Through the Only in the East photography competition, we hope to gather images that represent the distinctive character of East Anglia today.
Your photographs could show anything from iconic scenery and places, to the people and customs that give East Anglia its unique identity and fascination.
We encourage you to:
- Think how you might represent the cultural identities, traditions or peculiarities of East Anglia
- Consider how you will use the six key elements of composition (line, shape, form, texture, pattern, and colour) to make a successful photo
- Enjoy taking your photos. Be playful, spontaneous and explore taking photographs with varied or irregular perspectives
So whether you prefer a smartphone or a medium format SLR we want to hear from you.
Judging will take place after this date and competition images will be shortlisted by a judging panel, with the winners chosen by our special guest judge, Martin Parr.
First prizes have been generously donated by our competition sponsors London Camera Exchange and Sony:
- First Prize for 16 years and under: Sony Cyber-shot HX400V Black Camera
- First Prize for 17 years and over: Sony A5000 + E16-50mm PZ OSS Black Camera
- Second Prize in each category will receive entrance to Time and Tide with afternoon tea for two (sandwiches, cake and tea or coffee) in the Silver Darlings cafe
- Third Prize in each category will receive a family visit to the Norfolk Museums Service museum of their choice
- All shortlisted entrants will receive a family ticket for entrance to Time and Tide
- Competition images will be shared on social media and displayed in Time and Tide Museum’s Community Gallery
How to enter
The competition is open to entrants from 21 October 2017 until 16 March 2018 and has two categories:
- Entrants 16 years and under
- Entrants 17 years and over
Email your completed form, along with your photograph to email@example.com
Share your pictures
You don’t have to compete to get involved. Everyone can follow and share their inspired images on our Instagram @timetidemuseum #onlyintheeastcomp and Facebook pages to be part of the Only in the East conversation. Happy snapping!
This competition is proudly sponsored by London Camera Exchange and Sony.